Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Hassan = Lamb

"Hassan didn't struggle. Didn't even whimper. He moved his head slightly and I caught a glimpse of his face. Saw the resignation in it. It was a look I had seen before. It was the look of the lamb."
(pg. 76)

"But I walways watch. I watch because of that look of acceptance in the animal's eyes. Absurdly, I imagine the animal understands. I imagine the animal see that its imminent demise is for a higher purpose. This is the look.." (pg. 76-77)

Over these two pages, Hassan is compared to a lamb that has to be sacrificed to attain a means. In this book, Amir brings about this thought. "Maybe Hassan was the price I had to pay, the lamb I had to slay, to win Baba." Lambs are sacrificed usually for religious ceremonies or rituals. Hassan's dignity was being sacrificed for Amir. Hassan ha the option to get out of this sacrifice by handing over a material good, a kite. This kite was the possession that had te potential of changing the relationship between Amir and his father and Hassan knew that. He sacrificed himself.

In the text, it talks about the "look of acceptance" on the lamb's eyes. The animal understands that this has to happen. Hassan thought so low of himself and his "servant" people that he thought this was the way it had to go. He accepted it.

No comments:

Post a Comment