Thursday, April 14, 2011

Foil Characters

"I grasped his hand, and in a moment forgot my horror and misfortune; I felt suddenly, and for the first time during many months, calm and serene joy." (pg. 58) I know that I am going back to previous pages, but I believe that this is a very crucial point to hit. Victor and Henry are clearly foils of eachother and the reader needs to realize this. Ever since they met, they have been opposites, but I guess the cliche is true, "opposites attract." Henry is interested in ethics while Victor clearly is not. Victor pursues science without an ethical base. Also, Victor is all about moving away from his family to do his own thing and pursue his dreams. This doesn't really bother him because he is obsessed with reaching his goal. When Victor sees Henry for the first time in about two years, he says the above quotation. It is obvious that Henry represents all that Victor grew up with. Also, since Henry's presence brings Victor much joy, it it certain that Victor needs his family, but his want for his dream is still stronger.

No comments:

Post a Comment