Thursday, December 2, 2010

"The Drunkard"

The ending of this story was completely unexpected for me. I think that is what made it so funny. I'm not sure what how old the narrator (Larry) is, but just the image of some young boy being intoxicated was completely absurd in my mind. One of the questions after the story is, "Did Larry's father forswear liquor?" I do believe he did. On page 350. the father says, "Never again, never again, not if I live to be a thousand." The only other thing he could be referring to is his son and his son's drunkenness and I don't think that that would even make sense. This story also shows that some habits in this world are so hard to be broken. Here the only way that this father's habit is broken is by seeing his son do as he does. The father then realizes what an example he is setting for his child. Even on the walk home, the ladies were commenting on how the drunkards son was taking after him.

No comments:

Post a Comment