Thursday, January 20, 2011

Othello

2. The play Othello would be classified as a tragedy. I only know this because it is what I have heard from peers because I haven't read all 5 acts yet. After the Act I, I knew that it wasn't a comedy or farce because it wasn't light-hearted and humorous to any extent. Lastly, I put a line through melodrama because the plot wasn't extremely dramatic and over the top. Plus, the author is Shakespeare, so I assumed it would probably be a tragedy anyways. In the beginning of the story, Iago's 2-faced qualities gave me the hint that this story is destine to turn out to be tragic. I believe that Iago being a villain proves one of the aspects of a tragedy. First, Iago speaks of taking advantage of Othello to Roderigo,"O sir, content you. I follow him to serve my turn upon him (I.i.41-42)." Then at the end of Act I, Iago tells Roderigo to sell all of his belongings and the speaks to himself, "Thus do I ever make my fool my purse (I.iii. 364)." Personally, I don't believe that it is really important for an audience to be aware of the classification of the play. I think that half way through the first act, it should be quite evident that it is a play of jealousy, hatred, and pre-judgement. Only tragedies come from these types of plots.

No comments:

Post a Comment