Thursday, July 8, 2010

The Dancer

" Later we found her family in the house. They were dead and badly burned. It wasn't a big family: an infant and an old woman an a woman whose age was hard to tell. When we dragged them out, the girl kept dancing." (pg. 129)

At first, I found this little excerpt bizzare. Why would they write about some random girl dancing? I read it again and I realized that I could understand her need for dancing two different ways. First, I think that little girl could represent all of the people who chose to ignore the war and all that was going on. For example, Curt Lemon's sister in one of my earlier posts. The little girl was dancing with her palms over her ears. This was either to ignore the war or my second thought, take her somewhere else with her imagination. This innocent little girl probably witnessed her family die. This dancing could be a way for her to mentally escape where she was and keep her spirits alive; something the soldiers also had to master.

1 comment: