Friday, July 9, 2010

Revisiting the Past


"This little field, I thought, had swallowed so much. My best friend. My pride. My belief in myself as a man of some small dignity and courage." (pg. 176)





Here O'Brien uses personification and gives the field the characteristic of being able to swallow. He speaks as if the field was striving to consume the only things he had left in his life. All of these things were sucked away into the mud and disappeared. When he returned, I think it had to be weird knowing that so many items and feelings were lost under his own two feet. I would be a little scared if I was in his position. He had to know that he was literally stepping on belongings and maybe even people.

It is hard for me to think that the field he described when Kiowa died was the same field as the one that was now grassy, flat, dry, and full of butterflies. I think Tim wanted to make a point that even though things can seem horrific, there is always a possibility for change. I am sure Tim was glad that his daughter got to imagine him walking around on this field, rather than the field he could still remember 20 years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment