Friday, July 9, 2010

Rat Kiley

"Sometimes he'd stare at guys who were still okay, the alive guys, and he'd start to picture how they'd look dead. Without arms or legs - that sort of thing. It was ghoulish, he knew that, but he couldn't shut off the pictures." (pg. 211)

Personally, I think someone who looks at people and pictures them dismembered should be in a mental hospital. That is just scary and cruel. It isn't like Rat wanted to do this though. He had seen so much damage to the human body that it seemed normal to him.

To me, this just proves how insane the war over there was. Rat was getting no sleep and still trying to do his job. This was pushing the poor man towards insanity. This was just something that happened over time and wasn't going away. If I pictured my friends in pieces, I would probably shoot myself in the foot to go home too. I think it was fair to say that Rat did his duty and it was time for him to return home. I know he probably didn't want to but he had no choice at this point.

No comments:

Post a Comment