Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Frances

" " Listen to him. I'm going to England. I'm going to visit friends. Ever visit friends that didn't want you? Oh, they'll have to take me, all right. How do you do, my dear? Such a long time since we've seen you. And how is your dear mother? ... " "- Frances (pg. 56)

This would be a prime example of a complete freak out from a woman. Personally, I can't believe she did this in public. I have no idea what I would've done it I was Cohn. It is obvious that she is fed up with this situation, but I would've been too. I have no idea why she was staying with Cohn when it was obvious that their relationship had seen its' day.

The quote above isn't even half of the rant she went on. When I was reading this part, I pictured her speaking as if she was in the show Gilmore Girls. On that show they speak so quick that one has to be paying complete attention to catch everything that is being said. Frances was spitting out facts, questions, and some harsh thoughts at 100 mph. It was obvious that she didn't want them to answer her questions, she wanted to make Cohn realize that she knew what was going on and she wanted him to feel just a portion of all the pain she felt.

The rant continues...

"Well, I suppose that we that live by the sword shall perish by the sword. Isn't that literary, though? You want to remember that for your next book, Robert. You know Robert is going to get material for a new book. Aren't you, Robert? That's why he's leaving me." - Frances (pg. 57)

Here we continue with Frances' rant to Cohn. I wanted to include this excerpt because here Frances completely disses Robert's writing by suggesting he use a trite expression or cliche in his next work. By saying this, she implies that he can't come up with anything good on his own, so he has to resort to ideas that have been around for ages.

3 comments:

  1. Angela, I wish I had caught that cliche, as well as what Frances was saying about Cohn's writing abilities when I was reading this part of the novel. It would have added more of a description to Cohn and foreshadow what his characteristic qualities. Unfortunately, I was to focused on the fact that Frances was freaking out on her fiance in public. It seems to me that Hemingway is portraying all the women poorly in this novel : Brett, Frances, and Georgette.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to agree with the comment about the women. I didn't even put 2 and 2 together. Maybe Hemingway is sexist. There isn't one woman who seems useful in this novel except for the whole prostitution thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe Robert got served here. But not the dancing kind...the insult kind.

    ReplyDelete