Thursday, August 12, 2010

Life


" Enjoying living was learning to get your money's worth and knowing when you had it." (pg. 152)

In this book, my favorite chapters are the short ones where it is just Jake thinking quietly to himself. He comes up with some great philosophies. Maybe it is just because I love quotes, but I think he makes some very valid points in these chapters. I think here he is saying that one can fully enjoy life when they learn not to settle for less but also not to keep pursuing something when they are as far as they need to be. I have always been a believer in the theory of "a happy medium." Here, I believe Jake is trying to drive that point home.

Finding something's happy medium is all about balance. I think most people would agree that balance is something that everyone strives to find in their life. It is apparent that Hemingway didn't think these people had balance whatsoever.

Anyways, I do believe that this quote from Jake can be considered timeless and universal. People all over the world from every century have been trying to master a way to reach a happy medium in life but not push past it. After all, aren't we all just trying to enjoy life?

2 comments:

  1. I love this entry, Angela! I also believe that balance is a necessity. How are we supposed to enjoy every aspect of life if we don't experience new things in the first place?

    ReplyDelete